Amalgam is still used as a filling material by many dentists. Dental amalgam is a mixture of silver and various other metals, and it contains over 50% mercury. Mercury is one of the most toxic non-radioactive elements on our planet.
Mercury makes its way through our entire body, spreading through the digestive tract, and can be deposited in the liver, intestines, bones and brain. Mercury is detectable in the brain just a few hours after an amalgam filling is placed and damages the nerve cells there. Diseases such as Alzheimer’s and dementia are suspected to be caused by heavy metals such as mercury.